So it that time of year again. Easter is around the corner. You and or your mother or mother in law are frantically trying to find the perfect Easter dress for your darling little girl(s). And you live in the Northeast. And every single dress is either short sleeve or has straps. Ahhh, another year of covering up that beautiful dress with a sweater.
This year my mil has been unable to find a sweater she likes. So, I told her. Stop looking, I'll make them something.
So I am searching and searching and searching for patterns all over Ravelry's pattern browser. I know what I want. I want a shrug for them like the one I am making for myself . This one http://www.purlbee.com/evening-shrug/ . But I want simple sleeves and cuffs. Seamless and knit in once piece. No kitchner stitch. It also has to be made of worsted weight yarn. Because most of my stash is worsted weight and I am trying to use up all of my commerical yarn and then switch to only using my hand spun. So after not finding exactly what I wanted. I decided to just go ahead and make up a pattern. Similar to the adult ones I have seen but made for little girls. And since I really hate seaming. It had to be seamless.
So here it is. It includes directions for sizes 1/2 up to 7/8. WARNING!!! I have only tested size 3/4 right now. I am about to cast on for the 5/6 for my other daughter.
Sizing is included for 1/2,2/3,3/4,5/6,7/8 .
K = knit
P = Purl
m1l= make 1 left
m1r = make 1 right
k2tog = knit 2 together
ssk = slip slip knit
MATERIALS SO FAR:
size 8 dpns or size needed for gauge
worsted or aran weight yarn ( i will be using 100 Percent Pure Wool for size 3/4 and then Baby Alpaca for size 5/6)
Gauge: 4.5 sts/inch on sz 8 in st st
Measurement A: child's wrist to elbow
Measurement B: Child's wrist to armpit
Measurement C: Child's shoulder to shoulder across the back
Measurement D: Above the child's elbow to armpit
sizes: 1/2,(3/4,5/6, 7/8)Cast on 28(32,36,40) sts.
1) Place marker and join in the round. Do not twist the stitches.
2) K2, P2 around for 1 "
3) Knit in stockinette stitch (knit every stitch) until the sleeve measures measurement A from the cast on edge.
4) k1, m1l, knit to last stitch, m1r, k1 . (30,34,38,42 stitches)
7) repeat 4 -6 (32,40, 44,48 stitches)
8) knit in the round until the sleeve measures measurement B.
9)Turn, purl to end. (ws)
10) turn, knit to end. (rs)
11) turn, purl till last 5 stitches, k 5 (ws)
12) turn, p5, k till end(rs)
13) repeat 9 -12 until the piece measures Measurement C. Ending with row 12 and right side facing you.
14) Switch to dpns, place marker and join in the round. Continue knitting in the round until the arm measures Measurement D.
15) k1, k2tog, knit to last 2 stitches, ssk, k1
18) repeat 15 - 16 , 3 more times. (28,32,36,40)
19) Knit for until the arm measures Measurement B minus 1 " .
20) K2, P2 for 1 inch.
21) Cast off using needle next size up.
If you suggest any changes after making one, I would love to hear your comments.