Thursday, November 20, 2008

Well, at least we are alive.









Inspired Hat

This is a design I made inspired by the Kiwi Hat. It came about because I love baby cables and also I was attempting to make the Jack Hat which would have been my first top down hat ever but I got frustrated and discourage with the whole top down way and said hey, I can make it up and go bottom up. Well, I know with my gauge and how I wanted it to fit an adult and what started out as a Jack Hat from the bottom up turned into something else so here is what I did.

Please bear with me I did not take notes and am attempting this from memory.

My gauge is 26 stitches x 18 rows = 4” x 3” in 2 x 2 ribbing with worsted weight yarn and sz 8 circular needles.

Cast on 84 (long tailed cast on) with sz 8 16” circular needles.

1) 2x 2 ribbing for 18 rows.
2)*Skip first stitch, knit 2nd stitch (leave stitch on left needle), knit skipped stitch, slide both stitches off left, p2* repeat around.
3 & 4) k2, p2 around
5-10) repeat 2-4 twice.
11) Repeat 2.
(You can make the hat smaller by decreasing the number of k2,p2 rounds)

(I am still working on this section, I forgot what I did, so it looks like I have to knit another hat to remember how I did the shaping. )
Shape Crown
12) K2, p2,k2,p2,k2, p2tog around (77)
13) K2,p2,k2,p2,k1,k2tog around (70)
14) Skip first stitch, knit 2nd stitch (leave stitch on left needle), knit skipped stitch, slide both stitches off left needle, p2, Skip first stitch, knit 2nd stitch (leave stitch on left needle), knit skipped stitch, slide both stitches off left needle, p2, k2tog around (63)
15) k2,p2,k2,p1,p2tog around. (56)
16)k2, p2, k2, p2tog around (49)
17)Skip first stitch, knit 2nd stitch (leave stitch on left needle), knit skipped stitch, slide both stitches off left needle, p2, Skip first stitch, k2tog (leave stitch on left needle), knit skipped stitch, slide both stitches off left needle, around. (42)
18)k2,p2,k2tog around (35)
19) k2, p1, p2tog around (28)
20) k2, p2tog around (21)
21)k1, k2tog around (14)
22) k2tog around (7)
Cut about a 6 inch piece of yarn and thread it through the rest of the stitches. Cinch up hole tight and finish off.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I LOVE that hat! it is so stinking cute!! hmm... thinking... thinking...